|In this episode of The Sunrise Side of the Street, Vince and Kat are joined by Sunrise’s High School Coordinator and co-chair of the Older Youth Remote Programming Committee, Brianna Morales, and will be talking about ways to engage with Older Youth, and how to continue to support their College and Career exploration.
Some Older Youth Engagement Tips to take away from this episode:
Engaging older youth is something that can be challenging even in person, and many youth have big responsibilities that extend past the school day. Programming needs to be valuable to them, both in time, and content. This means tailoring programming to meet their needs, and creating safe spaces for youth to fail, grow, and explore who they are.
Some examples of how we do this include:
- Paid Student Incentives through PYN.
- Social and Emotional Support, creation of safety plans and consistent communication.
- Presenting program opportunities on multiple platforms: SPHS Instagram and Instagram LIVE and google classroom.
- Tailor programming to student interests, needs and growth. Providing schedules, and topics to students in advance and at varied time slots.
- Individual Check-ins, phone calls, emails, and other forms of direct communication.
Resources that help: